Waterjet is an industrial tool capable of cutting a wide variety of materials using an extremely high-pressure jet of water or a mixture of water and an abrasive substance. Essentially, it’s an extreme and sped-up version of erosion, which occurs in nature. Waterjet cutting is often used during fabrication of machine parts. It is the preferred method when the materials being cut are sensitive to high temperatures, examples include plastic and aluminum.
Advantages of cutting using waterjet :
- A high pressure pump that increases the water pressure to about 400 bar. This allows it to cut almost any material any material e.g. composites, plastics, metals, glass, stone or rock, ceramics, and rubber. With the addition of a granular abrasive, a waterjet cutting machine can perform quality cuts on materials up to 150 mm thickness.
- A major advantage of waterjet cutting is that no heat affected zone (HAZ) occurs due to its cold cutting method. Any cutting process which generates heat has the secondary effect of changing the molecular structure of the steel in the affected zone. This can be particularly detrimental to the performance of steels used in specialized applications. Not only does cold cutting enable clean cuts, but also increases the operators’ safety significantly by eliminating the risks of burns.
- Through its cold cutting method, the heat exposure can be bypassed, which is especially critical for materials like metal, leading to a fine cut without distortion in the material. This results in a smooth and burr-free cut.
- The immediate high cutting quality ensures a precise result, avoiding an additional finishing process. This significantly accelerates the cutting process, saves time and increasing the overall efficiency.
- The growing importance of environmentally friendly processes throughout the industries is becoming more apparent. A significant advantage of waterjet cutting is that it does not create any hazardous waste in the form of fumes and gases unlike other cutting technologies.
Industries that use waterjet cutting technology :
- Oil and gas
Why choose Flexilicate?
- Our nozzle adjusts the waterjet very precisely and in a targeted way so that it can cut accurate and detailed designs with tolerances of 0.08mm (0.003”).
- The cutting process is cold, eliminating the risk of melting, tearing, hardening or deformation. Thus, no stresses or heat-affected zones.
- From designing to finished product in a matter of minutes. Production directly from .SVG or .DXF files.
- Materials we cut: marble, glass, metal, steel, ceramic, plastic, rubber, carbon fibre, HDPE and many more.
- Cutting area of 305mm x 460mm (12” x 18”).
- Can support thickness of material up to 15mm.
- Narrow kerf of 1.2mm (.044) which significantly reduces the amount of scrap material produced especially when working with expensive material such as titanium.